This Work Group stands alone from our other A-Level Pedagogy Work Group and you can attend just this one, or attend both.
In some sense it can be seen as a sequel where we will take the ideas further into A-Level mathematics and Further Mathematics.
WHAT IS INVOLVED?
This Work Group will be focussed on realising the overarching themes of the A-Level specifications. We will look at each Overarching Theme in turn.
- 22nd February 2021 – Overarching Theme 2 – Problem Solving
- What does it mean to be a mathematician?
- How can we foster this in students?
- We will be looking at the work of Polya and Tao and using this as a place to build problem solving from.
- 8th March 2021 – Overarching Theme 2 – Problem Solving
- How do you reconcile ensuring students perform well in the exam with them behaving mathematically?
- 26th April 2021 – Overarching Theme 3 – Mathematical Modelling
- We shall explore moving from knowledge of a mathematical concept to being able to use it in a modelling setting
- Mathematical modelling in A-Level Mathematics and A-Level Further Mathematics
- 10th May 2021 – The Overarching Themes and Revision
- Tips to ensure a focus is still on the overarching themes during the revision period.
- 7th June 2021 – Overarching Theme 2 – Mathematical Modelling
- Modelling in mechanics
- Statistics and discrete mathematics
- Assessing mathematical modelling skills
- 5th July 2021 – Overarching Theme 1 – Mathematical Argument, Language and Proof
- The importance of proof as a theme threaded through the teaching of mathematics as this is what sets mathematics apart from other sciences
- How can we develop the mathematical literacy of our students?
The Work Group is offered free to all state-funded secondary schools in England.
Please complete this form to reserve a place on this Work Group.
The ongoing impact of the coronavirus outbreak and knock on effects on schools life remain uncertain. So, all Maths Hubs work will adapt to changing realities. There’s likely to be more live online collaboration, for example. In addition Work Groups content will address both schools recovery from coronavirus related disruption and the central maths subject matter of each project.